visit to Biasco

Tompiano@aol.com Tompiano@aol.com
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 09:31:39 EDT

This is whole "bait and switch" topic painfully reminded me of something that
happened to me when I was new to the business had just moved to S. Florida.
           I swear this actually happened.
I had just started working with a dealer doing floor tunings and some outside
tunings. The first day he set me to a retirement complex (won't mention
names, but let's say for fun sake, and borrowing from Jerry Seinfeld's show,a real
life" Boca Del Vista") to tune a spinet piano. The piano was almost 1/2 tone
flat so I pitch raised it and tuned. When I was finished I was to head back to
the store. What was waiting for me was an angry complaint from the customer
saying that the piano sounds as much out of tune now as it did before I started.
Hmmmm. So after a scolding from the dealer and an additional scolding about
not filling out all of the needed paper work (especially the serial number) I
went back to the apartment to following day.
Sure enough the piano was flat in pitch and as the customer stated, it'
sounded as bad as when I started. So I did another pitch raise and tuning, and this
time I filled out the serial number and other specifics. And I remembered to
put a service sticker inside.
Well, low and behold, again back to the store with yet another angry
complaint from the owner. And again I was scolded and sent back to the apartment.
This time when I arrived at the apartment the owner was screaming at full
throttle about how lousy of a tuner I was and proceeded to make life a living
hell for me.
As he was in the midst of his diatribe I opened the piano and the service
sticker was missing. And the serial number was different. Meanwhile, this guy
hadn't taken a breath between his insults.
Eventually I got in my first few words.." Where is the piano I tuned
yesterday? This is not the piano I tuned yesterday!"  If you could only see the
frightened look on this guy, who suddenly became as white as a ghost and began to
retreat physically. Again I said "where is the piano I tuned yesterday, and
probably the one I tuned 2 days ago?"
After threatening to call the dealer and also the police I had to the whole
scheme finally came out. He and 2 apartments on either side of him have exact
identical cheap spinets...same color, same everything. They were going through
the trouble to move pianos in and out of apartments to save (at the time) $45.
The nerve!
The dealer was tickled by the news and was hoping to press charges on this
guy to scare the crap out of him.
 Having experienced the nerve of some people to deceit and deceive still
haunts me to this day.
Tom Servinsky