Soundboard crown

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:11:15 -0400

Hi Del,

> > > How are you mass loading the thing?

<snip>

> Not good enough.

Yeah...  I know...  Mind you, the contact was metal to metal, not metal to
rubber to metal.  The rubber banding was used to hold the magnet more firmly
against the bridge pins.  Still, I do (and did) recognize the potential
shortcomings of this solution.

> Have you done any work with accelerometers? Check out the
> coupling (the resultant frequency response) between the test object and
the
> accelerometer with the various mounting techniques. Non-rigid adhesive
> bonding (bees wax, etc.) always loses out to solid mechanical bonding.
> You'll need to get in there and physically and closely couple the mass(es)
> and the spring(s) to the bridge. Usually by screwing and/or solidly
bonding
> the things to the bottom of the board directly opposite to the bridge.
Best
> with a screw going up through the mass, through the soundboard and into
the
> bridge.

If it were *your* personal piano and a soundboard you were planning to keep
for a while, would you riddle it with experimental screw holes?????  Before
I do anything like that, I want to see some evidence, a priori, that it's
going to improve the sound!  ;-)

I might try c-clamping something to the side of a rib, underneath the
bridge.

Peace,
Sarah