More on soundboard crown

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:36:33 -0500

>Its a
>question of degrees... and as somebody (I wont get into who... grin)  pointed
>out a couple years back in another soundboard discussion, with something about
>a mosquito colliding with a Concord....  relative to what deflects what....
>every little bit counts...

An aircraft carrier, not the Concord, and if you want relativity, pay
attention this time and I'll try again. These figures are approximate, and
I'm not interested in all the details of what might happen on the molecular
level. Just in case.

A rib of 800mm (35.5"), crowned at 18M (59') radius, is 0.069mm (0.0027")
longer over the "arch" than the straight shot of the rib length. The crown
height is 4.44mm (0.175"). The outward "thrust" of an arch of these
proportions should be roughly proportional to the leverage arms of half the
span divided by the arch height, or 90.09:1, so every pound or Kilo of
bearing put on the bridge in the middle of the arch would put 90 pounds on
the edge of the soundboard. Ten pounds of load would put 900 pounds on the
soundboard edge. A rib half that long will produce over twice that thrust
ratio. A piano with an overall bearing load of 700lbs will be putting
considerably more (since most of the ribs are shorter than 800mm) than
63000 pounds of outward thrust on the rim. A considerable portion of this
thrust will be on the less substantial belly rail. The panel that was dried
down to 4%MC for assembly and re-hydrated to 8%MC has already been
compressed 5.5mm (0.2") or so, and is already under considerable PSI load.
It will take a lot less than the additional string bearing load to compress
the panel another 0.066mm (less than half that on a rib half that long). So
the physical compliance of the material is considerably higher under the
loads imposed than would make it possible for a soundboard to work as a
buttressed arch. Even if the rim was infinitely stiff, the soundboard
material would not make it possible. The centripetal tension resonator does
not, and can not in any way support and maintain crown for any length of
time and to any degree. The compressibility of the panel material just
won't allow it.

Arguably, and I know that if it is, you will, the "resonator" might just
actually help to support the soundboard crown until enough strings are
installed for the bearing  to overpower the compressibility of the wood,
but it's all over long before it's chipped up to pitch.

Ron N