Graphite on Samick Center Pins?

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:07:07 EDT

Good evening List,

I got up this morning bright and early and headed into San Francisco for what
I thought was a routine tuning.  It turned out to be a 3 1/2 hour pin-a-thon.

Before I could even tune this little PSO--a Samick SG 150 with a Pianomation
player unit--I had to deal with what I thought was regulation issues, but
turned out to be bound up centers, mostly on balanciers, but some hammers, jacks,
and whippen heel flanges were also victimized.

The original pins were contaminated to the point where each time I pushed one
out, it was a struggle to get it to break free, and I thought the bushings
were going to come out with the pins.  Fortunately, that didn't occur.  But
there was a black substance coating the pins at the point where they pivoted on
the flanges.

I am certain that I will be called back soon.  There will be more binding
centers, and I'll wager that the flange bushings will have to be replace before
too long. I have a call in to Samick for possible warranty reimbursement for
the customer, and I'm wondering if I should ask for a set of replacement
whippens(keep dreaming, Dave).

At first I thought that something had been spilled in the action, but there
is no evidence of liquid contamination(other than blood from my finger from
pushing too many pins through birdeyes), then I remembered the recent thread
about Renner actions using graphite covered pins.  Does anyone know if Samick uses
or has used these in the past?  The piano is around three years old.

Mr. Jolly, you can e-mail me privately on this if you'd like:  what is the
likelihood of any of the warranty reimbursements or replacements I suggested?
The customer said that it has been going on since he got the piano.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Stahl