More on soundboard crown

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:37:17 -0500

>Ron,
>
>You clarified you position on this just fine. Let me be clear about the
>way I see it.
>
>There is practicly no difference between the two methods of soundboard
>building viewed from the perspective of mechanical performance. If they
>have the same dimensioned parts they will have about the same stiffness
>and mass. Therefor they will have the about the same acoustical
>performance. acoustical performance being dictated by these two factors.

Oh, now we have "about" the same stiffness and mass. Yea, that clarifies it
for me all right. and makes it sufficiently vague to not bother with.

>Panel crowning puts the panel into more compression than rib crowning. I
>estimate this to be at most about 30% of maximum psi of side grain
>compression if building a soundboard with average dimensioned ribs.

Interesting. You had it at 50% just bending the rib to a crown before the
strings were even on it a couple of years ago when we compared math
routines. No matter, it wasn't what we were talking about anyway.

What was all that other stuff for? Diversion? It wasn't what we were
talking about either.

>That's all I have to say on this topic unless something strikes me as off
>like your description of negative stiffness. I will let you get the last
>words in on this topic.

Good. Since you apparently decline to comment on my last example, it's
obvious you don't have anything more to say on the subject.

>I know you will, you have a lot more riding on this than I do.

I have no idea what, John, or even what you're talking about. Do you?

Ron N