More on soundboard crown

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 06:20:33 -0400

Ron N. and John H. wrote:

> >Panel crowning puts the panel into more compression than rib crowning. I
> >estimate this to be at most about 30% of maximum psi of side grain
> >compression if building a soundboard with average dimensioned ribs.
>
> Interesting. You had it at 50% just bending the rib to a crown before the
> strings were even on ......

These percentages stated, are they referring to the maximum compression, perpendicular to the grain orientation, that a panel of soundboard spruce can withstand before structural failure occurs (crushing of wood fibers)?

Excellent discussion. Thanks. I'm groovin' on this stuff. I'll have about 83,756 more questions - once I even figure out what to ask!

Terry Farrell