OT-Kinda

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:08:37 -0700

I thought I'd share my day with Y'all!<G>:
I live about half way between Portland and Tillamook, (on The Coast).
Because of that, I do quite a few tunings in the small towns, on the
Northern Oregon Coast. I always consider it a "mini-vacation", even though
most of the pianos are worse than PSOs. Most have not seen service of any
kind, for years! And, the coastal sea air doesn't help. Even though I do
quite a few at the  coast, it is more often than not, difficult to fill a
day, there. Such was today!<G>
I had one tuning, in the morning. A repeat client with a 6' Chickering,
1922. It's in need of a lot of things, but generally adequate and tunes up
nicely.
    Anyway, one tuning, then the rest of the day to either come back to the
shop or take some time for myself. Life has been rather cruel, these last
few months, so I opted to "play hookie"!<G> (One of the nice "perks" of
working in this business!) The Plan: Hang out on the beach, have lunch and
read The Five Lectures!<G>
    The drive to Tillamook, on Hiway 6, is typical of the many mountain
roads that cross The Coast Range to the wonderfully beautiful Pacific Ocean.
It's kind of windie, tricky in spots and ALWAYS has a belligerent, "Smokey"
lurking about! (He got me twice in one day! Yikes! And that was in a fully
loaded VW Bus!) There's only one "passing lane" area on the whole 45 mile
trip. I left a bit early, this morning, in anticipation of "playing hookie".
Good thing I did, as the great gurus of Highway Matters decided to do some
paving! (Guess where? The "passing lane" area!)(Following Winebuggos is
sooooo much fun!)(Just love that warm tar on my German "Roller Skate"! Not!)
Driving Hiway 6 is quite nice, with plenty of Flora, consisting of Fir,
Cedar, Spruce, Alder and assorted underbrush. Very Green and almost
constant, except for the occasional "Clear Cut" that momentarily ruins my
mood.
Finally arrived at my morning client, 15 minutes late. On The Coast, that's
usually not a big thing, as they tend to be pretty laid back. Today was no
exception. <G>
    Because it was a repeat tuning client, the piano was no problem.
Finished just about noon.
Headed for the local Safeway store to do some shopping and get some lunch.
MMMMM! One of my favorite sandwiches is a "Foccacia". Add to that a carton
of excellent Tillamook Milk, a large dollop of potato salad and an apple and
I'm in hog heaven!
    Hopped in the "German Roller Skate" and drove North on Hiway 101,
through several small towns and stopped at a place called Manhattan Beach. A
short walk through sand dunes Flora, (shore pines, blackberry bushes,
manzanita bushes, etc.), and down a dune to the beach! The sand is very soft
and walking through it is like having divers boots on.<G> Oh well, I do need
the excersize! A short stroll down the dunes/beach to a few chunks of
driftwood/logs, 20-30 feet from the surf. Good place to plant it, for lunch.
Spread out my lunch and proceed to devour it, post haste! Started reading
The Five Lectures. I got through the Preface and was just about to Conklin's
Lecture and.....Snooze time. With the soft sand as a bed, the warm sun as a
blanket and the sound of the surf.....ZZZZZZZZZ!
Woke up after about an hour and spent the next hour or two just gazing out
to sea, watching the Crabbers and assorted beach frolickers. Wow! What a
day!<G> Oh, for an extra special "Dessert", I picked Wild Blackberries on
the way back to the car! (I've got the stains to prove it! <G>)
    Hopped back in the "German Roller Skate" and continued North on Hiway
101 to the intersection, (Near Seaside), to Hiway 26, (East), for the
return, circuitous though it may be, trip. Hiway 26 is a better road with
numerous "passing lanes" and a better "layout". Still has the cousin of the
other "Smokey" lurking about though! :-( No, he didn't get me today.)
Finally got home around 7pm. Greeted by "The Fur-Ball", aka "Spooky", (given
name), or "Spook", (when she's being weird. Which is most of the time.) Her
usual small little meuw was all I got out of her. She's not much of a
talker. Lets me know that she recognizes the fact that I've been gone and
that's it. (The Initial Plan was for her to keep the field mice out of the
shop! Not! She goes out and brings them in to play with and then let's them
go! grrrr! <G>
    Well, that was my day, "Playing Hooky"! I feel much better now. Ready to
get back at it, in earnest, tomorrow.
    I hope you all have the opportunity to "play hooky" occasionally, it's
good for the Soul!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police