Conover model 77- Mason clone

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:05:31 EDT

      Hey  all
    Last year some time there was a discussion about  the Conover model 77
which was said to be a copy of a Mason & Hamlin Model A. Intrigued byt the feed
back I bought one. Paid too much. I wasn't planning on it but its getting a
belly etc. and too much else. However it's not done so I can't speak from
experience yet. Unfortunately the rim turns out to be made of poplar which is really
soft & not maple. No cloning done there and I'm not real excited. I'm
interested to know if any one works on any of these that are in good tonal condition
or if any have bellied one that turned out respectble.  Use your own
definitions of what that all means, as I'm not fussy. Please render an opinion.
    Today I  saw another one same vintage. Yawn. Needs strings, block and
really a board but is it worth it. Sentiment only goes so far you know.
     Go for it-- Dale Erwin