Laminated ribs

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:18:25 EDT

In a message dated 8/17/2003 6:50:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
RNossaman@cox.net writes:

> You're right, sorry. Either would work. I don't recall ever hearing of
> anyone cutting curved laminations, but it seems an awful lot of unnecessary
> time and trouble when you can just bend them.
>
> Ron N

       I agree. Also as I recall the whole idea behind curved laminated ribs
is to produce a more uniformly strong rib or in other words something where
strength calculations are more predictable If that's the case then how many
laminations is desireable in a rib say 24 to 28 mm tall?  3mm is about all most
planers will squeeze down to so seems that 4 or 5 laminations of  5 or 6 mm
would be all thats practical. So far in the few sets I've done I think I've used 4
to 5 laminations.
     Dale