Laminated ribs

Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:03:00 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: August 17, 2003 8:18 PM
  Subject: Re: Laminated ribs

  In a message dated 8/17/2003 6:50:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time, =
RNossaman@cox.net writes:

    You're right, sorry. Either would work. I don't recall ever hearing =
of=20
    anyone cutting curved laminations, but it seems an awful lot of =
unnecessary=20
    time and trouble when you can just bend them.

    Ron N

         I agree. Also as I recall the whole idea behind curved =
laminated ribs is to produce a more uniformly strong rib or in other =
words something where strength calculations are more predictable If =
that's the case then how many laminations is desireable in a rib say 24 =
to 28 mm tall?  3mm is about all most planers will squeeze down to so =
seems that 4 or 5 laminations of  5 or 6 mm would be all thats =
practical. So far in the few sets I've done I think I've used 4 to 5 =
laminations.
       Dale

We always use a minimum of 5 laminae per rib. The bottom laminae, i.e., =
the one opposite the soundboard side, is generally thicker to allow for =
milling to height, shaping, etc.

There is a good overview of glued, laminated beams in The Wood Handbook, =
Chapter 11. Look for the part on Glulams. This book is available online =
(your tax dollars at work!) at:
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/FPLGTR/fplgtr113/fplgtr113.htm
Click on Chapter 11 and download a pdf file with the whole chapter. If =
you refer to this work as much as I do you might want to download the =
whole book. It's not free but you've already paid for it.

The stuff described in the book is intended for architectural use, but =
the principles apply.

Del