Laminated ribs

CalinTantareanu calin.tantareanu@mae.ro
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:05:11 +0300

Hello!

The laminated ribs, are they made of vertical or horizontal laminations? =
And why?

Regards,

Calin Tantareanu

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 12:34 AM
  Subject: Laminated ribs

            Those of you who routinely use a laminated rib.=20
         =20
           My question is are these flat laminated pieces cut with a =
crown in them or are you crowning the ribs  in a curved caul. I know =
this was discussed some time back but hey I don't recall it. If they're =
laminated in a curve aren't they indeed more of a true arched rib (or =
arched beam) than a solid piece of  spruce rib stock with a machine cut =
curve. In the rib glued in a curve the ribs  the grain is indeed in an =
arch even if it was made thick enough to cut the bottom of the rib flat =
so as it had more material in the middle than on the ends. With a rib =
laminated in an arch config. it's also possible to have a rib of uniform =
dimension (if thats desireable).
          I don't know Phil F got me to thinking about that.
     Dale