More on soundboard crown

Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:16:53 +0200

I think, that most rebuilders with a good deal of soundboard experience under their belt, know basically what they are doing... even if they lack the theoretical background some do. One gains experience in what works and what doesnt for the sound and performance one selv likes. With that in mind, I doubt that there are many "duplicators" in the sense of the word you seem to hint at, as that would really mean a really good working knowledge of both basic methods, and whatever minor offshoots there are... and a good aquaintaince with what each type of piano started out with assembly method wise.

Again.. and not meaning to slant this in any  negative direction... I see that as a primary reason for rebuilders to clearly make their mark on the instrument. A good rebuild is very much the product of the rebuilder.... no matter how well he/she can simply copy dimensions of this or that part.. it is the knowhow in putting it all together that will make or break the job.

Of course the usual qualifiers like IMHO, JMV, and UYRE apply.. grin.

Cheers

RicB