beckets

Jim Parker jhparker@rose.net
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:23:00 -0400

Thanks for the info.  I didn't realize there was a machine component to the
technique.  I probably missed that part at the factory.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: beckets

>I meant manufacturers when I said stop.

I know. I thought someone might be interested in reasons for doing so in
field repairs.

>  Maybe I'm not
>paying enough attention but as far as I know I've never had a becket creep
>out.  If they're tight I don't think it is a problem.

I think it's more the size of the hole in relation to that of the wire, and
the sharpness of the hole edge in relation to the sharpness of the bend.
This doesn't happen down in the bass where you can barely get the wire in
the hole. It tends to happen with about #15 and smaller wire. Even at that,
creeping becket doesn't happen often enough to worry about. I still like
the control and evidence of having been there, so I continue with the clear
through and bend becket for repairs.

>How many pianos have
>you tuned that 6 months or a year later barely need a touch up?  Lots of
the
>better ones I'll bet. That's been my experience.  Couldn't happen if
beckets
>not pushed through and bent over were a problem.  Just my opinion.

This isn't done for tuning stability in the first place. My understanding
is that it's a manufacturing expedient allowing pre-cut and machine coiled
string sets to be installed quickly and uniformly without cutting and
winding slowing the stringer down.

Incidentally, I've tuned a lot of pianos through the years and never had
one that was "unstable" because the beckets weren't tight and the coils
weren't tapped. While a field process of tightening and tapping will
obviously drop the pitch considerably in a lot of cases, not doing so won't
typically have a detrimental effect on tuning stability in an existing
piano.

Ron N