beckets

Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:18:48 -0400

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:24:19 EDT JIMRPT@aol.com writes:

>  In my opinon a good preep job on any piano that is new to me
> includes
> addressing the coils, if not the beckets. Determining right up front
> that any
> "unstability" of tuning is not gonna be due to loose coils is doing
> yourself and the
> customer a service. Running through a set of coils takes maybe 5
> minutes and
> is well worth the time...if you haven't lifted/tapped coils on a new
>
> instrument or one that is just 'new' to you than perhaps you should
> give it a
> try...............remember..............
>  "Only you can prevent forest fires" :-)
> Jim Bryant (FL)

Hi Jim -

Just to be clear, I am in no way condoning a sloppy stringing job.  And
in a brand new instrument that exhibited that kind of workmanship I would
attempt to get the dealer/manufacturer to cover that kind of fix.  But I
have seen too many instruments that have slipped thru the gate with their
unsightly coils ignored, and years down the road I just don't find them
to exhibit behavior any different than any other piano in Ohio.  A good
example, perhaps, is the countless times over the years that I have run
into a piano that had a string or two replaced by a cowboy in a hurry,
with the ugliest 1 3/4 coil you ever saw in your life, staying in tune
just as well as the strings around it.  Again, I hate to see that kind of
work, and would never dream of installing a string like that, but it
doesn't change the fact that I just don't see any correlation between
funky coils and perfect ones in terms of tuning stability.  Not yet.

And as Ron points out, who pays for the necessary pitch raise after this
'fix', and does the customer actually benefit?

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com