beckets

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 00:41:42 -0400

At 10:26 PM -0400 8/19/03, Bill Ballard wrote:
>I remember Willard Sims of Baldwin (at either the Philly National in
>the early 80s, or the Cincinnati in '78), saying that the factory
>was interested in just how necessary tight tuning pin coils were for
>tuning stability, so they strung a piano up with sloppy coils and
>sent it on down the line, looking for comments on tuning stability.
>It apparently was no less stable than any of the pianos with tight
>coils.

This whole discussion of beckets and coils, as it has veered off from
the thread of tuning stability seems to be a slight twisting of
Murphy's Law: if it might, it must. As Lenny Bruce said, "true more
in general than specifically".

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I gotta go ta woik...."
     ...........Ian Shoales, Duck's Breath Mystery Theater