What matters most?

Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:54:33 +0200

David Love wrote:

> Just to clarify, I think that different component ratio combinations that
> achieve similar overall ratios will, and do, feel differently.

I agree. Yet again.. Stanwood claims differently, tho I have seen no real
justification for his claim. Some subjective experience related stuff... but
nothing more.

As to the other direction this has all taken, which you get into below. It
shouldnt really be too difficult to make some general ball park calculations. A
reasonable limit for key leading  is available for us. If the maximum amount of
FW for any given key yeilds a equal or greater amount of inertia then the
minumum corresponding SW, then there can be some degree of achieving same
overall inertia for different combinations of key / hammer inertia. If on the
other hand maximum key inertia is always less then minimum hammer inertia...
then that cant happen and the whole issue of similar over all inertia for
different combinations of component inertia is moot.

Mark just sent me a spreadsheet that may have something to do with this. I'll
get time to look closer at it perhaps tonite.

> On the other subject, something to remember here, since inertia relates to
> acceleration and since the key lever and the shank lever accelerate at
> different rates (i.e. the shank moves 5-6 times faster than the key),
> changes in mass on one or the other are likely to create a different curves
> when plotting inertia against acceleration for each component.  That might
> suggest that comparable inertia with mixed setups cannot be achieved.  The
> sum of the parts may not tell enough of the story.   Maybe someone more
> formally schooled in engineering or physics can chime in here.
>
> David Love
> davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Cheers
RicB