What matters most?

Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:14:25 +0200

Mark Davidson wrote:

> I recant.
>
> Here is a simple counterexample that shows you can have
> same SWR and different inertial "feel".
>
> Start with some SWR, say 6.0.
>
> Move capstan closer to balance rail.  This will reduce motion
> of wippen and hammer.
>
> Now move knuckle closer to hammer center until SWR is 6.0 again.
>
> This leaves the wippen moving with less speed and distance
> than when you started.  Key and hammer move the same as when
> you started.

Hmmm... are you sure moving the knuckle to yeild same SWR will bring the
hammers velocity and distance back to the same for same key front travel
?? How did you figure this ? Curious.

> There is less total energy required because
> wippen does not accelerate as much.  In other words, you
> can change the wippen speed independently of the hammer and key
> speed.
>

> Whether you can actually feel it is another question...

Well.. I am convinced if there is a difference like this, you will feel
it... tho not necessarilly on a level you can put your finger on. Most
pianist either like or do not like what they feel.... without having a
clue as to why one way or the other. The only way we are going to be
able to tell is to go the route David Anderson suggests... and that goes
for whatever Stephen Birkett comes up with as well when it comes down to
it.

Stephens work will perhaps quantify most of all this... but there will
need to be a lot of looking into how pianist respond to differeing
conditions before any of that quantification can result any real insight
as to how to accomplish what varying pianists want.

In the meantime... we can do some practical generalizations by taking
advantage of the 4 basic ways of configureing an action with regard to
inertia I mentioned the other day, and observing how pianists respond to
these. One thing Stanwood has no doubt established.... pianists respond
very very well indeed to the lateral consistancy in leverage and inertia
his system neccessarilly results in. I cant really see he's established
anything else tho... but thats another discussion.