Dampp Chaser and Grand Action

Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:35:17 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 26, 2003 6:36 AM
Subject: Re: Dampp Chaser and Grand Action

> And the reason why is...........?
>
> Why is a Dampp-Chaser rod "not compatible ...... period" in a grand
action cavity? I've never installed one there, but I can imagine
circumstances in a high humidity environment where humidity control in an
action cavity might be beneficial. So why not where appropriate?

> Terry Farrell

My only experience with Dampp-Chaser rods in the action cavity has been in
removing them and subsequently replacing the pinblocks that have been
toasted by them.

Now, to be fair, these were generally 25-watt or higher and they had been
left on continuously for periods of several years. And the pinblocks in
question were of the Steinway three- or five-ply variety. There might be no
problem with an 8-watt Dampp-Chaser controlled by a Humidistat switch.
Still, given that experience, I would have some concern were I to come
across a Dampp-Chaser of any size or variety down underneath the pinblock.

It might, in the long term, be more cost effective to deal with that
sluggish action in some other way.

Del