Big Bushings/Ron Nossaman

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:05:16 -0700

Ron said: "I meant keep the bushing together. The difference between
Kimball's 1/2"
bushings and everyone else's means thinner walls in the bushing in everyone
else's. There has to be a point where there isn't enough integrity to the
short cross ply to hold the bushing together.

Ron N"

Ron,
Now I get it!<G> And I've been giving wrong info....You correctly defined
them as 1/2"! (I've been saying 7/16"!...Must be Oldstimers Disease Again!)
If we do the "rough" math, that gives us about 1/8" all the way around the
tuning pin. I've found that, because this type of bushing still expands
somewhat, that the driving of the tuning pin appears to "jam" the bushing
really tight into the web.
Like I said, before, I've done two of these and each time, I was amazed at
how nice the pin feel was. Almost like an exposed pinblock feel.
As to how little can we get away with, regarding the wall thickness of
bushings? I think that the olde style is too thin! The current "modern"
bushings are simply window dressing, (fodder for the Marketing types),
and/or a guide for drilling only. I know they don't do a damned thing. <G>
Oh, the reason I use Delignet, for this type of bushing, is that there are
sufficient plies to give it some integrity. I'd use FalconWood, if'n I could
get it.<G> (Of course that would mean buying more plug cutters.....or
sharpening the little boogers, a lot!<G>)

Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I