job invoices?

Ray T. Bentley ray@bentley.net
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:13:42 -0500

Susan,  What's the point of handing the client a receipt that they will
throw away?  I have a journal that every client is entered in at the end
of the day.  I keep it in Excel and backed up on CDRW. I also print out
hard copies frequently. Do tax people really want to go through several
hundred sheets of paper (invoices)rather than a clear and concise
printed out journal?  Rest assured, I have no problem calculating taxes!
Whatever works for each of us and our clients is best for us.  I
answered Terry's question privately, but I guess you wanted to hear this
too.

Ray

Ray T. Bentley
ray@bentley.net
www.ray.bentley.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Susan Kline
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 6:38 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: job invoices?

At 12:52 PM 8/26/2003 -0300, John Ross wrote:
>I hope the income tax people do not read this.
>Otherwise they might think, that without a bill, you might have a
>problem, calculating your taxable income.

Ah, yes, tax data ... I collect it while I prepare bank deposits. I have
another MsWorks form "Receipts 03" (or whatever year -- I start it fresh
each year from an empty form I keep on hand.) I sort the checks after a
week or two by date, enter the customer name, date, and amount in
Receipts 03, and it self-totals by month, and then carries the month
totals to another part of the form, which summarizes quarterly and
annual receipts. Then I take a small notebook (real paper, real pen, wow
...) and label the deposit by number and date. I list customer names and
amounts. So I have two places where the income data is stored, and it is
recorded in a timely manner.

Then I take the checks one at a time AGAIN, and copy the
data, plus whatever I still remember from the job, into the customer
file. After I complete each one, I put a dot by the name in my date
book. This shows me who has been entered and who hasn't, and it allows
me to catch those who paid me in cash, and enter them in Receipts 03.
After their last name I put "(cash)" so I won't get confused later.

Basic, but it works. At the end of the year, the physical notebook goes
into the big envelope holding tax-related receipts, and I start fresh.
The only glitch which I have to watch out for is that sometimes in the
past I didn't always record new customers who had warranty tunings,
because I didn't handle a check.

Susan Kline