job invoices?

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:38:23 -0700

At 12:52 PM 8/26/2003 -0300, John Ross wrote:
>I hope the income tax people do not read this.
>Otherwise they might think, that without a bill, you might have a problem,
>calculating your taxable income.

Ah, yes, tax data ... I collect it while I prepare bank deposits.
I have another MsWorks form "Receipts 03" (or whatever year -- I start
it fresh each year from an empty form I keep on hand.) I sort the
checks after a week or two by date, enter the customer name, date, and
amount in Receipts 03, and it self-totals by month, and then carries
the month totals to another part of the form, which summarizes quarterly
and annual receipts. Then I take a small notebook (real paper, real
pen, wow ...) and label the deposit by number and date. I list customer
names and amounts. So I have two places where the income data is
stored, and it is recorded in a timely manner.

Then I take the checks one at a time AGAIN, and copy the
data, plus whatever I still remember from the job, into the customer
file. After I complete each one, I put a dot by the name in my
date book. This shows me who has been entered and who hasn't,
and it allows me to catch those who paid me in cash, and enter them
in Receipts 03. After their last name I put "(cash)" so I won't
get confused later.

Basic, but it works. At the end of the year, the physical notebook
goes into the big envelope holding tax-related receipts, and I
start fresh. The only glitch which I have to watch out for is that
sometimes in the past I didn't always record new customers who had
warranty tunings, because I didn't handle a check.

Susan Kline