Magnetic Leverage Assisted Grand Action

Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:26:25 +0200

Cy

I got to thinking about this and thought I'd mention another advantage
to using this setup. By using both front (of capstan) and back magnet
pairs one is able to achieve 25 - 30  grams of force without really
changing the coupling between whippen and key. If you tried to do this
with whippen assist springs you'd have at least half the whippens
floating in the air above the capstan. But since the back manget pair
are pulling the key and whippen apart about as much as the front pair
are pushing apart... the net change in the coupling is about Zero,
whilst the net change in Balance Weight is large. This may seem a bit
confusing, until you install the magnets as per my instructions in an
action model yourself. But if you run the leverage numbers it all comes
out right and makes perfect sense.

Now as to the desireability of using such amounts of counter balancing
force. Thats another question entirely. One thing it allows for is the
widest spread between hammer inertia and key inertia possible. Should it
be shown at some time that high hammer inertia and low key inertia is a
good thing... then this is a great way to accomplish that.

Another thing is that because you can use this much force without
lifting the whippen away from the capstan.... you stand free to design
different FW and SW curve combinations then have previously been readily
available.  One example might be a constant key inertia over the whole
key bed. Say 10 grams of Frontweight, placed at the middle of the key, a
SW curve that moved from about 11 grams in the bass to 6 in the treble.
Magnets adjusted / installed to yield an even Balance Weight. Whatever
else this might accomplish, it would have a strong tendency to create a
very even dynamic touch, with even and very light key inertia and slight
tailing off of hammer inertai.

Lots of configurations become very readily available when it comes down
to it.

Cheers
RicB

--