Amazing stability in this Kawai!

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:09:11 EDT

List,

I got a call from a gentleman the other day who lives in the hills high above
the Bay Area.  In Los Gatos to be exact.  He said he has a 15 year old Kawai
GS60 (a 6'10" or so grand that has since been replaced by the RX 6).  The
kicker was that it hadn't been tuned in 10 years, or so he says.

I was ready for a major pitch raise, some regulation, a good interior
cleaning, and a fine tuning.  He was expecting a professional pianist to come to his
house to play it in a couple of nights(that would be tonight), so he wanted to
dial it in really nicely.  I was certainly not expecting what I found.

After a long drive up Highway 9, and a continuation up a twisty little
private road, I arrived at the residence.  I walked in expecting a piano completely
out of whack.  What I got was a piano that was between 0 and 5 cents
flat(upper treble only).  The bass was barely off at all.  There were quite a few whiny
unisons, just what you'd expect after 6 months or a year!  And the regulation
was far better than what one sees in most showrooms!

 I asked him if he was certain that it hadn't been tuned in 10 years.  He
swore up and down that it had it's free tuning, then five years later it was
tuned again.  That was it.  Hadn't been touched in ten years.  In a state of
disbelief, I asked him about the climatic conditions in the room:  were they
stable?  He said that it gets really hot in the summer, and cool in the winter, and
he hasn't had AC since the '99 stock slide.

I asked him who the previous tuner had been.  He said somebody named
Anderson.  I only know one tuner named Anderson around here, and I'm not altogether
convinced that he would go so far out of his way to tune a piano.  It got me to
thinking...Dave Anderson, are you out there?  Have you ever tuned in the Bay
Area???

I spent an hour and a half getting the piano sounding as good as possible.
The only downside to the instrument was that there were quite a few false
strings in the high treble.  And the room was incredibly live(tile floors), which
accentuated the beats.

Any notions on how a then-new piano could be so stable with so little
maintenance??  No dampp-chaser.  I know where he bought it, and it is unlikely that
the dealer spent any money prepping the piano extensively.

Quizzically,

Dave Stahl