Titebond extend gluing times.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:23:27 EDT

In a message dated 8/30/2003 10:53:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
RNossaman@cox.net writes:

> >    It is also reversible for the next guy who has to get the board out
> >of the piano or Maybe you. Can you imagine having to clean a rim joint
> >that was coated with tight bond, bulduc or some other kind of glue? What
> >a headache.  Its obvious that modern wood glues have strength that cold
> >or hot hide doesn,t but it always amazes me how solidly our antiquated
> >pianos have hung ( and some not)together with animal colagen compound.
> >Imagine how much more difficult it would be to remove key bushings,guide
> >rail bushings, key buttons,hammershanks, soundboards,pinblocks etc for
> >repairs if the glue wasn't as reversible and workable as hide glue. Just
> >a thought in that direction.
> >    Dale Erwin
>
> I wonder how necessary the consideration of reversibility is in soundboard
> work.
..>>>>>  Hi Ron
      I replaced a board in an old A . It was it's third board. Fortunately
it was hide glue.

         I haven't removed hundreds of soundboards, so I may not have gotten
a > good cross sectional statistical sampling, but I've never been able to get

> one out without trashing it, even when the ribs were half separated from
> the panel.
  I've always had plenty of spruce chunks and glue to chisel and
> scrape off of the rim.

takes                    some soaking
> scaping &cleaning to get glue off the rim I doubt its as difficult as tight
> bond. Ok probably not a huge consideration but I've not had the need to
> scrape tight bond off a rim but would bet it is a far more challenge.

             Nor do I find soundboard replacement quite as casual
> and common a repair as replacing a set of hammers or key bushings. How many
>
> times have you put repeat sets of hammers or key bushings in the same
> piano?
>    >>>> You'd be surprised how many sets of repeat key bushing sets we've
> done for churches ,college etc. An occasional set of hammers

         How many times for repeat soundboards? The need for reversibility is

> the requirement that the part you are NOT replacing be minimally damaged in
> disassembly. That would be the rim, and Titebond will scrape off of the rim
> with the application of heat just fine. The soundboard being replaced is
> trash or kindling anyway, preferably kindling, so the choice of glue used
> is irrelevant to that.

     Maybe we should be considering knocking the ribs off of these old