Bridge Crown

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Mon, 01 Dec 2003 20:46:08 -0500

This topic comes up from time to time and my take on it is that on the
Steinway and Mason & Hamlins the bridges are machined with a definite
crown. This crown helps to support bearing just as crowning the ribs
does. How much benefit this has on the performance of the pianos I don't
know but it seems a logical step toward creating a high quality soundboard.

Until now I have not had the opportunity to show how this works. I have
in the shop at the moment a Steinway L built in 1960. While not in
perfect condition there is enough of the original crown, both along the
ribs and along the bridges to see what the builder had in mind.

Shows the soundboard removed from the case (about 3 inches are removed
along the spine and bent side from my removing process). The crown along
the bridge is clearly visible.

Shows the soundboard after removing the bridges. This clearly shows that
the bridges were creating the crown from front to back along the grain.

Shows the bass bridge, there is about 2mm of crown.

In addition I have two photos showing what remains of the rib crown.

This is about 2/3rds to 1/2 of what I would consider optimum rib crown
for this pianos. So at least in this case a panel crowned soundboard has
survived a few years after leaving the factory.
--
John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin