Bridge Crown

Tue, 02 Dec 2003 09:20:16 +0100

David Love wrote:

> Nice photos.  One obvious question is that even though the bridge was
> creating a portion of the crown on the detached panel, how much crown would
> it actually support under tension.  From previous posts on this topic the
> answer seems to be virtually none.  So if the crowned bridge was part of
> the design to support crown under tension, it would appear that it would
> have been for naught.  What do you think?
>
> David Love
> davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

According to Steingręber, this along the grain crown when subjected to
downbearing, yeilds a state of compression along the grain. (seems
logical enough in itself) This along the grain compression is seen as
critical to the tone of the instrument. He aslo mentioned that this
along the grain crown is important in regards to avoiding the killer
octave problem. So perhaps the point hasnt got much to do with
<<supporting>> crown at all.

I dont have any more detailed explanation, and I'm not trying to say
who's right or wrong here... just putting out a little what one of the
more respected piano builders in the world has to say on the subject.
FWIW

Cheers
RicB

--