Bridge Crown

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 02 Dec 2003 07:56:42 -0600

>Nice photos.  One obvious question is that even though the bridge was
>creating a portion of the crown on the detached panel, how much crown would
>it actually support under tension.  From previous posts on this topic the
>answer seems to be virtually none.

Also from previous posts on the subject, it was noted that, because of the
curve in the bridge, crown support would be in the relatively straight
portion of the bridge - in the center of the board where the longest ribs
are. That's about where the clamp is in the photo of the top view of the
board, and where soundboards nearly never go flat. I wonder what the crown
and bearing were (strings on) in the usual problem area about half way
between where the clamp is, and the treble end of the bridge.

>So if the crowned bridge was part of
>the design to support crown under tension, it would appear that it would
>have been for naught.  What do you think?
>
>David Love

I wonder why a board with all this bridge supported crown, all this
residual rib crown at the low end of the killer octave (beginning of the
relatively straight section of the bridge), and looking so nice and
un-cracked, is being replaced.

Ron N