tooling up for soundboard install

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Wed, 03 Dec 2003 08:44:36 -0700

Hazen,
    A couple of special clamps, but mainly 3/4" pipe clamps, on 30" of
pipe. About 35 of the buggers.  Absolutely the best deal on cheap pipe
clamps is Harbor Freight. Two ways to go.... wait for the 2.99-3.99 sale,
or a deal on free shipping. Either way, you'll save about half the bucks
you'd spend elsewhere. The truly "special" clamps are the heavy-duty
deep-throat bar clamps. 36" bar, 8-10" throat. At least two.... four is
better. Also, four or five slightly smaller bar clamps. Not "cheap"
anywhere..... but..... you can also build or buy throat extenders for pipe
clamps. Works.... in a pinch.

Have fun,
Guy

ps.   the pipe and the clamps are likely to be contaminated with oil.
Before you get them near your piano, scrub with detergent, dry well, and
lube with TFL50 or somesuch dry-ish lube.