Rockin' and a-rollin' Hazelton uprt.

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi@earthlink.net
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:37:44 -0800

Hello all,
I had to look at a Hazelton uprt. (Chinese made) yesterday because the
customer was complaining that it was unstable on the floor.  Sure
enough, this is the continental cabinet style with no supporting front
legs. It was very wobbly from and I would be nervous, not to mention
irritating when trying to play.

A peak at the casters beneath it showed a style I've never encountered
before.  They were fixed wheels running sideways and making for a very
small contact point on the floor.  The floor was level and moving the
piano to different locations in the room gave no better results.  We
tried caster cups underneath these small "feet" but that only improved
it a little bit.  Is this a typical problem with these pianos?  Is it
possible to swap these "feet" with something else without altering the
height of the piano?  The dealer just started selling pianos a few
months ago and knows nothing about them.  (Wonderful scenario!!!)  I
would appreciate any info on these.  Thanks,
jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Associate Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net