C.C.Lose

Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:42:19 +0100

Ok...grin... specific you want it eh ???..  I had this bottle of watter
you see, and I had this bottle of 96 % alchohol... tho we call it
Teknisk Sprit. Ethanol or Isopropanol... I'm not sure which I get as I'm
getting it rather back door as it were.

Anyways... I soak the cloth strips in water and lay them on the ribs,
down the sides and tuck them tight in against the sides where they join
with the panel. After soaking for an hour or so, I use a small syringe
to feed the alcohol into the join. After making sure all cloths are good
and wet I cover with plastic and let sit for 24 hours. Then its a small
steam iron to warm up the ribs... keeping the cloths faily wet. The
joints simply fall apart clean. I can even clean off any remaining glue
with the now hot and wet cloth strip I just removed.

Seems to me like it would be easy enough to expand on this basic set up
to remove any soundboard, and any ribs as long as some form of hide glue
was used... for anyone needing / wanting to save the old soundboard.

I'll start putting things together again as soon as I get some new ribs
manufactured with a 90' crown radius.  They will be same width, pretty
much same height, tho the origionals were thinned pretty radically in
the bass bridge area of the panel....so I'll allow them to be a bit
thicker there me thinks.

Yeah... I'm very curious as to how this will sound as well. Changing the
rib pattern, and rib crowning a 200 year old square. Blasphemy I
suppose... but I would like to think the darn thing wont cave in again.

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne