C.C.Lose

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:51:40 +0100

Hello Ric,

The original formula to unglue old parts is the "3 A" : Alcohol, Water,
Acetone (1/3 each) Alcohol is not doing much on the old hide glue, it is the
water that does the job mostly, what acetone does in the mix I don't know
(may be allow it to be less moistened ?). I was given that formula recently
(from forte piano restorers in Italy)  it seem very effective (not for vinyl
glue).

You have an interesting project ! I received an old Montal vertical from
1840 or so, totally destroyed, but I'll leave it as it is by now - have
enough to do with a 1857 Erard grand . These actions had everything we find
now in modern ones, with a very little modifications you even can regulate
them perfectly.

I'll send pictures soon of my Montal  "bridge piano" a very nice case (I
hate moths !)

Best regards and good luck with your project

Isaac OLEG

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la part
de Richard Brekne
Envoye : mercredi 3 decembre 2003 23:42
A : Pianotech
Objet : Re: C.C.Lose

Ok...grin... specific you want it eh ???..  I had this bottle of watter you
see, and I had this bottle of 96 % alchohol... tho we call it Teknisk Sprit.
Ethanol or Isopropanol... I'm not sure which I get as I'm getting it rather
back door as it were.
Anyways... I soak the cloth strips in water and lay them on the ribs, down
the sides and tuck them tight in against the sides where they join with the
panel. After soaking for an hour or so, I use a small syringe to feed the
alcohol into the join. After making sure all cloths are good and wet I cover
with plastic and let sit for 24 hours. Then its a small steam iron to warm
up the ribs... keeping the cloths faily wet. The joints simply fall apart
clean. I can even clean off any remaining glue with the now hot and wet
cloth strip I just removed.
Seems to me like it would be easy enough to expand on this basic set up to
remove any soundboard, and any ribs as long as some form of hide glue was
used... for anyone needing / wanting to save the old soundboard.
I'll start putting things together again as soon as I get some new ribs
manufactured with a 90' crown radius.  They will be same width, pretty much
same height, tho the origionals were thinned pretty radically in the bass
bridge area of the panel....so I'll allow them to be a bit thicker there me
thinks.
Yeah... I'm very curious as to how this will sound as well. Changing the rib
pattern, and rib crowning a 200 year old square. Blasphemy I suppose... but
I would like to think the darn thing wont cave in again.
Cheers
RicB
Farrell wrote:
Richard, I guess I'm an whoeverelse. You said: "Strips are soaked in water
and 96 % tech spirits." How much water and how much 96% tech spirits? Or is
it 4% water and 96% tech spirits? BTW, what are "tech spirits", or "96% tech
spirits"? Looks like you did an excellent job. It'll be real interesting to
see how things turn out. Terry Farrell
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.