Squeeking rep lever springs on Tokiwa wips

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:25:02 EST

In a message dated 12/3/2003 8:24:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,=20
mark@nhpianos.com writes:
  In the past year I installed two sets of =E2=80=9CMiracle Wips=E2=80=9D, m=
ade by Tokiwa=20
via Pianotek. Both sets quickly developed fairly noisy squeaks where the rep=
=20
lever spring slides in the slot on the underside of the lever. I tried clear=
=20
Teflon and protek, both on the spring and in the slot, which originally had=20
painted on graphite. The springs are clean, and don=E2=80=99t appear to have=
 any loose or=20
missing plating or corrosion, and I=E2=80=99ve looked with a microscope. Bot=
h pianos are=20
in humidity-controlled environments. Both these sets are also plagued by=20=
=E2=80=9C
Suddenly Tight Center-Pin Syndrome=E2=80=9D with friction jumping from 2=20=
=E2=80=93 3 grams to 20=20
=E2=80=93 30 grams! After just spending several hours each on both pianos, p=
ulling=20
every wip and checking/repining flanges & jacks and lubing all the slots, th=
e=20
customer calls back to say: =E2=80=9CIts baa-ack!=E2=80=9D  Has anyone ever=20=
run across this on=20
any piano and found a permanent solution?
=20
- Mark
     Actually I've had this squeaking on very few tokiwa parts but solved th=
e=20
problem by lubing with protek grease. The tight pins syndrome in many cases=20
will just require re -pinning. The cause here can be A. glue contamination B=
.=20
plating on japanese pins sometimes fakes off & clogs up felt (German ones to=
o=20
sometimes). C.Wood changing dimension. D. pinned too tight to begin with & t=
hen=20
the wood swells. E. Who could possibly know.
   Don't be to hard on the tokiwa parts with a blanket indictment. I've had=20
similar problems with most parts. Contact the importer at Pacific piano.
  Dale