Squeeking rep lever springs on Tokiwa wips

Mark Dierauf mark@nhpianos.com
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:41:47 -0500

Thanks for the responses, Dale & Clyde. I had considered putting
something with some more "body" in the slots, and perhaps the protek
grease is the answer. I have spoken to Bob at Pianotek about this
problem, and will again before taking the next step. I'm not sure that
I've given up on Tokiwa as a result of this, but I'm gettin' there.
Other than this, I like the parts, and love the eveness of touchweight
that I was able to get on both pianos with the adjustable helper
springs. One piano - a Mason AA with Renner wips - went from the mid
60's (grams) to the upper 40's in the middle after the switch over, and
I removed 6 lbs. of lead from the keys. The customer was beginning to
have muscular problems that limited her practice time but can now play
for hours pain-free. The other set went on my own Steinway, and even
without the springs I got better touchweight & friction numbers than
with the Renner parts. I do have problems with checking on my piano that
disappear when I swap out samples with Renner wips, though. Although
they appear identical in the important aspects, I suspect that the
Tokiwas are shortening the action spread just slightly, but I haven't
checked it yet. Can someone remind me of what the spec is for S&S action
spread?

- Mark