Squeeking rep lever springs on Tokiwa wips

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:38:26 +0100

For Hamburg models it is often necessary to add 1 mm spread when switching
from pre 74 parts to more recent. Not all action stack and whippens being
equal. Spread 112.5 - 113.5
Less spread = more heavy, but faster action, can work with a little less
dip.
Did you use CLP on the pinning ?

Isaac Oleg

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la part
de Mark Dierauf
Envoye : jeudi 4 decembre 2003 22:42
A : pianotech@ptg.org
Objet : RE: Squeeking rep lever springs on Tokiwa wips

Thanks for the responses, Dale & Clyde. I had considered putting something
with some more "body" in the slots, and perhaps the protek grease is the
answer. I have spoken to Bob at Pianotek about this problem, and will again
before taking the next step. I'm not sure that I've given up on Tokiwa as a
result of this, but I'm gettin' there. Other than this, I like the parts,
and love the eveness of touchweight that I was able to get on both pianos
with the adjustable helper springs. One piano - a Mason AA with Renner
wips - went from the mid 60's (grams) to the upper 40's in the middle after
the switch over, and I removed 6 lbs. of lead from the keys. The customer
was beginning to have muscular problems that limited her practice time but
can now play for hours pain-free. The other set went on my own Steinway, and
even without the springs I got better touchweight & friction numbers than
with the Renner parts. I do have problems with checking on my piano that
disappear when I swap out samples with Renner wips, though. Although they
appear identical in the important aspects, I suspect that the Tokiwas are
shortening the action spread just slightly, but I haven't checked it yet.
Can someone remind me of what the spec is for S&S action spread?

- Mark