Squeeking rep lever springs on Tokiwa wips

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 22:16:16 EST

In a message dated 12/4/2003 1:58:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,=20
mark@nhpianos.com writes:
like the parts, and love the eveness of touchweight that I was able to get o=
n=20
both pianos with the adjustable helper springs. One piano =E2=80=93 a Mason=20=
AA with=20
Renner wips =E2=80=93 went from the mid 60=E2=80=99s (grams) to the upper 40=
=E2=80=99s in the middle=20
after the switch over, and I removed 6 lbs. of lead from the keys. The custo=
mer=20
was beginning to have muscular problems that limited her practice time but=20
can now play for hours pain-free. The other set went on my own Steinway, and=
=20
even without the springs I got better touchweight & friction numbers than wi=
th=20
the Renner parts. I do have problems with checking on my piano that disappea=
r=20
when I swap out samples with Renner wips, though. Although they appear ident=
ical=20
in the important aspects, I suspect that the Tokiwas are shortening the=20
action spread just slightly, but I haven=E2=80=99t checked it yet. Can someo=
ne remind me of=20
what the spec is for S&S action spread?
=20
- Mark
    Mark
  I'm not a big fan of helper springs & usually find other ways to handle th=
e=20
weight problems. I have found that one tool to have are the Abel parts for=20
Mason/wessell, nickel & gross actions that are a perfect fit for many & they=
 are=20
the only ones who make an 18 mm nuckel placement. These parts will work well=
=20
on those that originally had this configuration & on some others depending o=
n=20
key leverage & action spread. Until now no other supplier has provided this=20
dimension of part. Also I like the fact that the center pin location is not=20
moved out as per the Renner parts on there Steinway shanks.
  The Tokiwa parts are a good fit except that the overall height is taller=20
than original factory wippens which requires techs to lower the capstan perh=
aps=20
further than the magic line calls for which, can also increase touch weight.=
=20
On Steinways I gave up & just use the factory wippens as they fit every pian=
o=20
they ever made really well. The Renoir whips tend to be too short & jack=20
placement is really ideal for primarily there 17 mm knuckle execution. Just=20=
MHO=20
based on trial & error.
   Dale

=20