Yamaha upright jack(or some such) noises

chweelee chweelee@singnet.com.sg
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 15:23:22 +0800

Hi Dave,

Try applying graphite on the butt skin and also on the capston screw
surface that is rubbing against the whippen heel cloth if the parts are
not worn off yet.

Ruth Lee

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 11:34 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Yamaha upright jack(or some such) noises

Hello Listers,

I tuned a Yamaha U-3 today, approximately 20 years old.  Everything on
it was fine, except for the squeak/rattle that seemed to emanate from
the jacks.  I've experienced this on other Yamaha uprights, but have not
been able to come up with a definitive reason for the noise.  It seems
to me as though it's the jack/jack spring interface.  The customers
haven't complained about it, but it drives me nuts.  It's evident mostly
on hard blows.

I'm sure many of you have heard this noise before, and probably most of
you have figured out what it is and have been able to fix it.  If you
have, please enlighten me!  I will be forever in your debt!

Thanks in advance,

Dave Stahl