Yamaha upright jack(or some such) noises

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 22:33:44 EST

Hello Listers,

I tuned a Yamaha U-3 today, approximately 20 years old.  Everything on it was
fine, except for the squeak/rattle that seemed to emanate from the jacks.
I've experienced this on other Yamaha uprights, but have not been able to come
up with a definitive reason for the noise.  It seems to me as though it's the
jack/jack spring interface.  The customers haven't complained about it, but it
drives me nuts.  It's evident mostly on hard blows.

I'm sure many of you have heard this noise before, and probably most of you
have figured out what it is and have been able to fix it.  If you have, please
enlighten me!  I will be forever in your debt!

Thanks in advance,

Dave Stahl