tooling up for soundboard replacement

ANRPiano@aol.com ANRPiano@aol.com
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 10:43:49 EST

In a message dated 12/6/2003 9:29:39 AM Central Standard Time,
mcpiano@globetrotter.net writes:

> Where can I get the Baldwin SQ plate support screws? I'm now looking at the
> end of a Mason&Hamlin A board replacement (my own piano) and would like to
> get this plate mounting system.

Ron N. a few years back wrote a brief article for the journal outlining his
approach to this system.  You need 4" X 3/8 (I think 3/8 is the size I use, I
will check when I get into the shop this morning and correct myself if I am
wrong) set screws (no head, yes, the 4" are significantly more expensive than the
3"), a lock nut, washers, cap nut, appropriate tapping tools.  I have gotten
mine from several local hardware suppliers (not hardware stores). Shop around
as prices do vary.  Be sure to get the widest lock nut available for your
sized set screw.

1) Drill the screw hole with the appropriate drill (allowing for the tap).

2) Tap the hole.  You will learn real fast that it is better to do this with
a power tool than by hand.

3) Measure the thickness of the plate, add a sufficient amount for the cap
nut and washers.  Start the lock nut, put in a vise, with a hex wrench chucked
into a drill, run the set screw to the predetermined depth.

4) Install into the piano.  Sometimes you will have to drill out some of the
soundboard in the plate is hung low to the board.

Andrew Remillard
ANRPiano.com
ANR Piano Service
2417 Maple Ave