tooling up for soundboard replacement

ANRPiano@aol.com ANRPiano@aol.com
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 10:19:52 EST

That would depend on how the new board is being made.  If you are sending the
board out to be cut and ribbed, then follow the manufactures specs.  If you
are ribbing it yourself then it would depend on the method of pattern making
you are using.

Sometimes SBs can simply be knocked out with a sledge and a 2X4, however I
had one recently which would not come out for any thing, so I cut it out using a
die grinder and Spurlock's SB shimming tools and cut along the perimeter.
For me it doesn't matter how the board comes out, I use it in whatever condition
it is in to create an approximately sized template which goes into the cavity
to be cut to exact size using a router.

Just a word of encouragement and warning: I found SBs to be no more
complicated than doing action work, just a different set of problems and geometry's.
The biggest difference is that mistakes are darned expensive to fix! Measure,
think, fit, think, measure again, think, fit, come back tommorow and think some
more.  Then get off your back side and put the sucker in!

There are many very good articles dealing with installing new boards in the
Journal, in fact there is a reprint book just dealing with this issue.  I found
these more than a little helpful.

I would be happy to help off line if you would like to give a call.

Andrew Remillard
ANRPiano.com
ANR Piano Service
2417 Maple Ave