Story and Clark/QRS console bubbling hammers

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 08:29:18 -0800

Dave:

            You need to determine if there's enough aftertouch.  As you
go through let-off and the key bottoms out, check to see if there is a
little forward motion of the hammer, and that the jack it out from under
the hammer butt.  If not, your key dip is still too shallow.  Putting a
thinner punching may get you closer to the correct dip, but you need to
be more precise with this adjustment.  Setting the letoff point will
help some, but you must be sure that you have enough dip to make it
work.  I recently worked on a Mason Hamlin large upright which had a
similar problem with bobbling hammers.  Actually it wasn't so much
bobbling, but the piano had a kind of "loose" feel.  By raising the
balance rail, the dip increased and the checking worked much better.
Hope this helps.

            Paul McCloud

            San Diego