Story and Clark/QRS console bubbling hammers

Don Price dcp3@twol.com
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 10:41:21 -0700

Dave   -   Check the rail with the let-off buttons.   If the screws are =
loose, the rail may have moved  forward or back and the jack is not =
being tripped appropriately.   I ran across that once.  (in 40 years)

Don Price
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 8:45 PM
  Subject: Story and Clark/QRS console bubbling hammers

  Hello again,=20

  It's been a week for pain-in-the-posterior piano problems.  A couple =
of months ago, I was called to come and see if I could figure out and =
fix a problem with bubbling hammers on a Story and Clark console piano =
with QRS pianomation installed.  When I got there, almost every hammer =
was bubbling.  Key height was fine, but the dip was way to shallow.  I =
replaced the fat front rail felt punchings with more meager ones, did a =
bit of regulation, and the problem was gone...at least for the time =
being.=20

  I got a call from the lady a couple of weeks ago complaining of a few =
more bubbling hammers.  I got a chance to go out yesterday, and with a =
small amount of let-off adjustment on a few notes the problem seemed to =
be cured--until I pushed the sustain pedal down.  I could not make all =
of the hammers check when the sustain pedal was engaged.=20

  Can anyone tell me if there is some connection between pedal/damper =
function and the QRS mechanism?  It doesn't seem as though there should =
be, but I have never installed or worked on one of these.=20

  The problem seems to be that when the sustain pedal is down and the =
dampers up, there is not enough strength in the springs to push the =
hammers back quickly enough to catch on the backchecks.  =20

  My thought is to check the tightness of the whippen and hammer =
centers.  The action feels far more sluggish than it did the first time =
I worked on it.  I suspect moisture or something else has invaded the =
bushings.  Maybe graphite coated center pins???  I certainly hope not.  =
Been there before.=20

  Any thoughts or recommendations for possible courses of action would =
be appreciated.=20

  Thanks again!=20

  Dave Stahl