Yamaha upright jack(or some such) noises

Brian Lawson lawsonic@bdmail.co.za
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 18:50:09 +0200

Hi, I'm also with the teflon brigade. That being said, other posible noise
points could be a squeaking centre pin in the bushing - cure protek, a swollen
birdseye (also teflon) or maybe top of jack spring rubbing inside jack heel -
would also try teflon there  Or, something else wrong!

Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: Piannaman@aol.com
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 6:11 PM
Subject: Re: Yamaha upright jack(or some such) noises

In a message dated 12/6/03 4:01:37 AM Pacific Standard Time, jonpage@comcast.net
writes:

Try applying graphite on the butt skin and also on the capstan
screw
surface that is rubbing against the whippen heel cloth if >the parts
are not worn off yet.  Ruth Lee

I thought by now that everyone was aware of the inferiority of graphite
for this application. The best lubricant to use on the butt leather and
knuckles is Teflon powder. McLube 444 on capstan surfaces, I even go so
far as to mix Teflon Powder and 444 or a CLP and apply to the wippen
cushion with a brush.

Regards from a Graphite

Ruth, Jon, Joe,

I have been using teflon for some time for all metal or wood interfaces with
buckskin or felt.  I've never used grafight....:-)  That said, the noise I'm
hearing really doesn't seem to be coming from there.  I will check it out,
however.  I'll be delighted if that turns out to be what it is!

Thanks for the input,

Dave Stahl