tooling up for soundboard replacement

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 08:48:44 +1100

>Hi list,
>   Thanks for all the great tips,and pictures on the soundboard install.I got
>the plate out today,and will start taking out the board tomorrow.This will be
>the first board I have ever removed,and replaced.I have to get the board
>out,leaving the dowels in place,or so I am told.
>Best,
>Hazen Bananister

Hazen,

The sound board removal operation won't be easy if you leave the
original dowels in place. We drill the dowels down to below the
panel/inner rim joint before removing the board, and plug the holes
in the inner rim prior to installing the new board.

Furthermore, as Andrew Remillard mentioned in his post, a much better
solution than using dowels again would be to re-install the plate
using the Baldwin plate mounting system (which is by far the best
system). We use this system for our own 225 piano, using 7/16" thread
stock. It isn't easy finding machine bolts which are 150 mm long and
threaded all the way to the head, so we get around the problem by
using Booker rod (threaded lengths of rod which are supplied in
lengths of 36" or 1 metre). We fit dome nuts to 150 mm cut lengths of
rod to form the 'bolt' assembly that we require, securing the dome
nut with Loctite 680 (which is the strongest grade). The washers
under our bolts are custom turned from free machining brass which is
chrome plated (the home page image on our website shows the dome nuts
and washers fitted to piano no. 3 - click on the small image to see a
full screen version). The hole in the plate, visible at the left edge
of the image, is for hexagon wrench access to the cap screw screw
underneath the plate (which is fitted into the inner rim). The cap
screw is for setting the plate height, before fitting the perimeter
bolts. For those who are interested in seeing the enlarged image
directly, go to;

http://overspianos.com.au/bkcl.html     (image size 136K)

When fitting the plate to the piano, we run a thread into the rim to
full depth to 'cut a thread' into the inner rim before fitting the
dome-nut bolts, so that we don't damage the finish on the chromed
dome nut with excessive torque during installation.

The only further qualification I'd like to add Hazen is that if the
piano you are rebuilding is owned by a client, get their permission
for incorporating any changes which are not original. Steinway can
get pretty nasty when it comes to attacking technicians for making
changes to their original designs.

They've threatened us in the past on two occasions.

Getting back to your sound board removal task, it might also help if
you cut away (using a chisel) the panel to outer rim glue joint
before trying to knock out the board. Glue joints aren't very strong
in tension but in sheer they are amazing. The board should
practically fall out once you get rid of the joint between the outer
rim and panel and the dowels.

I prefer to get the sound board out intact, because it makes a good
template for cutting out the new panel, and we also use it (after
removing the original bridges and ribs) as a jig for locating the new
ribs on the vacuum press.

Best,
Ron O.
--