tooling up for soundboard replacement

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 00:59:00 +1100

At 9:10 PM -0500 6/12/03, Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

>    Hi Ron
>   Beautiful plate and soundboard shot on the url. WOW!!!
>   How are you turning the bolt in full depth without a head on it?

Sorry Dale if I didn't explain it properly. Before fitting the
dome-nuts-fitted-to-booker-rod into the iron plate, we use a piece of
threaded booker rod with a nut welded to the top. This piece of
booker has a section of its diameter ground away where it first
enters the inner rim, so as to cut a slightly tight thread into the
inner rim. This makes inserting the dome nuts and booker a lot easier
so as to avoid damaging the chrome finish on the dome nuts.

>  & Would you mind clarifying this procedure?

In the case of our 225 piano, the pin block is first fitted to the
plate (which has a flange on either side of the pin block). The plate
and pin block are bolted together when the plate is fitted to the
case. The plate and pin block is secured to the inner rim using long
coach screws which pass through both the plate and pin block. We
don't glue the pin block to the inner rim so that, if necessary, the
plate and pin block can be removed from the piano as a unit when
overhauling the piano at a later date. We adjust the height of the
plate in the piano by shimming up or letting in the pin block ends,
relative to the inner rim. The shims are tapered to ensure that the
orientation of the pin block agrees with the final angle of the plate
inside the rim. At the back of the piano a cap screw (a bolt with a
hexagon wrench recess in the head) is fitted through the sound board
panel and into the inner rim. This cap screw is responsible for
setting the height of the plate behind the bass bridge. The cap screw
is adjusted via the access hole which is drilled in the plate (this
hole is visible in the large image of piano no. 3 at
http://overspianos.com.au/bkcl.html ). All setting of the plate
height in the case is done with the set bolts wound down sufficiently
to avoid contact with the plate. So the plate is adjusted using only
three support points (each end of the pin block and the cap screw at
the back) until all hitch pin fields are at a height which enables
the down bearing to be fine tuned with various heights of rear
aliquot blocks manufactured for the purpose (in 0.5 mm steps from 4
mm to 7.5 mm). Once the correct height for the plate has been
established, proper tapered hardwood shims are manufactured for each
end of the pin block contact with the inner rim. The thread holes
(around the plate perimeter) are then 'tapped' into the inner rim
before fitting the dome nuts. After locking down the dome nuts, the
set bolts are raised just until they meet the underside of the iron
plate (a dial gauge on a magnetic base is used for determining the
exact point of the set bolt meeting the plate).

>  I"d might be interested in adapting this perhaps on certain
>rebuilds.The plate holes on S&S & others are a bit big so I'm not
>sure how retrofits would work out.

The S&S D plate looks as if a Baldwin style plate mount conversion
would work with 1/2" bolts. I've just pulled down a 1962 Hamburg D
for a rebuild. After pulling the plate we found that the board has
collapsed in the second last treble section. There's plenty of crown
out the back of the bridge, but the board is inside out between the
bridge and the belly rail (would anyone like to see an image?). I
will be discussing a proposal, with the concert hall's house
technician, of building one of our new sound boards into the piano,
along with a curved bass corner cutoff, a back beam & set bolt in
place of the bell (which in this case had the drop bolt bent into a
25 mm offset to accommodate what appears to be an incorrectly drilled
hole in the plate). I designed my own log style scale for Ds back in
1990. I'll certainly use it if the clients are OK with it, since the
tuning stability and tune-ability has proven to be better than the
OEM version (I have re-bridged three Ds with this scale to date). I'm
also considering a sound board cut-off out the back of the top treble
section to rid the piano of a few acres of unnecessary panel out the
back of the treble bridge. As has been our previous practice, we will
be placing text in the piano to state exactly what we have modified,
just to keep the dollar signs out of the legal-eagle eyes. Wouldn't
want anyone to allege that we were 'Passing off' would we?

>. . . Also how do you cut that relief channel in the board so beautifully?

We use an air driven die grinder which is mounted in a custom made
mini-router style attachment. The die grinder is mounted directly
over a corner of the base plate so that it can be used right in close
to a vertical surface. I turned up a number of different diameter
steel 'tyres' which fit over a ball bearing mounted above the half
round cutter. The bulk of the material is removed by taking passes
with the required diameter guide wheels, before hand blending the
profile.

By the way folks, I am pleased to be able to tell you that our piano
no. 4 will be playing by this coming Saturday. We are having an open
day for local technicians to try it out against no. 3. Wal just got
the last strings on today (Sunday) and I chipped it up to pitch this
afternoon. Details of the new sound board design (the first is fitted
into no. 4) can be released from Saturday December 13.

Best,
Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY