tooling up for soundboard replacement

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 21:10:46 EST

In a message dated 12/6/2003 1:49:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
sec@overspianos.com.au writes:
http://overspianos.com.au/bkcl.html     (image size 136K)
 Ron Overs wrote

When fitting the plate to the piano, we run a thread into the rim to full
depth to 'cut a thread' into the inner rim before fitting the dome-nut bolts, so
that we don't damage the finish on the chromed dome nut with excessive torque
during installation.

The only further qualification I'd like to add Hazen is that if the piano you
are rebuilding is owned by a client, get their permission for incorporating
any changes which are not original. Steinway can get pretty nasty when it comes
to attacking technicians for making changes to their original designs.

They've threatened us in the past on two occasions.

   Hi Ron
  Beautiful plate and soundboard shot on the url. WOW!!!
  How are you turning the bolt in full depth without a head on it? & Would
you mind clarifying this procedure? I"d might be interested in adapting this
perhaps on certain  rebuilds.The plate holes on S&S & others are a bit big so I'm
not sure how retrofits would work out. Also how are you suspending the plate
at its final height before any of the bolts are in? are you floating the plate
on Nosebolts. Also how do you cut that relief channel in the board so
beautifully? Many questions ehh.
  In what way have you been threatened. Post me off list.
   Dale