tooling up for soundboard replacement

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 11:48:01 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: ANRPiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 3:47 AM
  Subject: Re: tooling up for soundboard replacement

  In a message dated 12/6/2003 9:04:59 PM Central Standard Time, =
cmpiano@comcast.net writes:

    The baldwin system has the following problem.  No adjustment after =
the fact.   All screws must be removed  and one screw dimension is the =
only variation possible.  I like my system.

  One of the benefits of using set screws is the ability to adjust after =
the fact.  It is possible to add or remove down bearing on a strung =
piano.  I've done it.

  Yes, I've done it too.   My point was that the Baldwin system is not =
based on set screws.  It uses bolts and the plate itself is threaded.  =
You'd need to remove all the bolts, reposition the plate and then =
reinstall the bolts.  Since the rim is now threaded you can only change =
to the nearest thread.  Hense the adjustment resolution is only one =
thread width.  Having the plate threaded leaves very little error =
tolerance in drilling the holes.  Okay for production, but awkward for =
rebuilds.

  The hanger bolts I referred to have wood type screw threads on one end =
and machine threads on the other.  I'm more comfortable with the wood =
screws into the rim.  The holes need to be waxed (bees wax) so that a =
slot cut in the top of the screw can be used to position the plate.  =
You'll need to lock the nut under the plate.  I typically use a set =
screw  into the side of the nut.  A brass or chrome cap nut (acorn nut) =
and washer finishes the job.

  Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
  Santa Clara, Ca.

  Andrew Remillard