Plate Suspension--Carl Meyer

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 13:52:54 -0800

Dale, they come in many sizes and length.  Look at McMaster Carr on the =
net.  It's like a lag bolt on one end, machine screw on the other.  Put =
a nut on the machine screw end and lock with (I prefer to drill and tap =
the side of the nut) cut off the excess length and slot.  I usually put =
an internal tooth lockwasher on top the nut so the screw won't turn =
after it's adjusted and you are tightening the top nut. Use a thin (jam) =
nut for minimum thickness.  In your case I would counterbore the rim to =
clear the nut and if necessary grind off the boss on the plate.  Lots =
simpler than machining the head of the bolt.  Any decent hardware store =
should have hanger bolts and acorn nuts as well.   3/4 c-bore 3/8 or 1/2 =
inch deep should do it.

Nice to hear from you.  Hi to Trix!

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca. =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2003 1:05 PM
  Subject: Plate Suspension--Carl Meyer

  In a message dated 12/7/2003 11:49:37 AM Pacific Standard Time, =
cmpiano@comcast.net writes:
    The hanger bolts I referred to have wood type screw threads on one =
end and machine threads on the other.  I'm more comfortable with the =
wood screws into the rim.  The holes need to be waxed (bees wax) so that =
a slot cut in the top of the screw can be used to position the plate.  =
You'll need to lock the nut under the plate.  I typically use a set =
screw  into the side of the nut.  A brass or chrome cap nut (acorn nut) =
and washer finishes the job.

    Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
    Santa Clara, Ca.
       Carl, Refresh my memory on what exactly is a hanger bolt.  Ok =
Draw me a picture this sounds to easy.  I'm envisioning a wood threaded =
device, say 3 "of 1/2" thread & then it has another half or part that =
is, say an 1 to 2 inches long which is a machine thread. The wood =
threads go all the way into the rim & the machine screw threads extends =
up thru the plate boss. The nut which has been lock tighted to the =
threads extends thru the plate. Then you're adjusting the hole thing by =
turning the top with a screw driver to set plate height & when done the =
cap nut goes on. So as in the Coleman suspension system the amount of =
machine thread protruding thru the plate boss can't be any taller than =
the cap nut. Right?  the only problem with this is that on S&S the plate =
often sits within  .050 of the board surface at the perimeter. On the =
Coleman system I have had the bolt heads thinned to that amount.What can =
be done here?
    Can you provide me with a source or send me a box with nuts & =
washers?
    Thanks-- Dale Erwin