Plate Suspension--Carl Meyer

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 16:05:37 EST

In a message dated 12/7/2003 11:49:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
cmpiano@comcast.net writes:
The hanger bolts I referred to have wood type screw threads on one end and
machine threads on the other.  I'm more comfortable with the wood screws into
the rim.  The holes need to be waxed (bees wax) so that a slot cut in the top of
the screw can be used to position the plate.  You'll need to lock the nut
under the plate.  I typically use a set screw  into the side of the nut.  A brass
or chrome cap nut (acorn nut) and washer finishes the job.

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.
     Carl, Refresh my memory on what exactly is a hanger bolt.  Ok Draw me a
picture this sounds to easy.  I'm envisioning a wood threaded device, say 3
"of 1/2" thread & then it has another half or part that is, say an 1 to 2 inches
long which is a machine thread. The wood threads go all the way into the rim
& the machine screw threads extends up thru the plate boss. The nut which has
been lock tighted to the threads extends thru the plate. Then you're adjusting
the hole thing by turning the top with a screw driver to set plate height &
when done the cap nut goes on. So as in the Coleman suspension system the
amount of machine thread protruding thru the plate boss can't be any taller than
the cap nut. Right?  the only problem with this is that on S&S the plate often
sits within  .050 of the board surface at the perimeter. On the Coleman system
I have had the bolt heads thinned to that amount.What can be done here?
  Can you provide me with a source or send me a box with nuts & washers?
  Thanks-- Dale Erwin