eee-ahhh

Joey Recker joey@onkeypianotuning.com
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:18:42 -0500

Tuned a piano at a church in Plains last week.  I was extremely
satisfied with the results (they turn the HVAC off all week and it
hadn't been tuned in a week).  Tonight after church the pianist
mentioned to me how much better it sounded, but commented that one note
sounded "funny".  Initially, I didn't hear the problem...  (I think
because the strings are definately in tune and I was listening for
beats).  But after a few moments I detected what she is talking about.
When you first hit the key, it quickly goes "eee-ahhh".  Every other
note just says "ahh" (yeah, I know this sounds stupid, but I can't think
of any other way to describe it).  It happens very quickly and is almost
undetectable, but SHE noticed it, so it is now important to me.  It's
like the note has two syllables instead of just one pure syllable.

It quickly gets to the ahhh... and there are no further beats in the
tone when played by itself or when checking octaves so I don't think
it's what we would normally call a false beat.

Sorry if this doesn't explain things properly...  but does anyone have
any suggestions of things I should check?  I don't know where to start.

Thanks
Joey