eee-ahhh

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 14:33:12 -0600

Joey,

Another way to look at it would be to make sure the hammer is making a
square strike on the strings (mating the hammer to the strings)  Here's how
to do it, if you don't know how:

Engage the damper pedal, hold the hammer lightly against the strings, pluck
each string to hear if any are ringing.  If so, lightly shape, sanding at
the strike point where the string *doesn't* ring (or strings).   It's easy
to see where to sand, just look at the string cuts--often it's obvious how
the hammer is striking.  Do a little bit at a time and check your progress.
I have a really fine tool for this:  a Popsicle stick with a narrow strip of
sand paper glued to it.  The sandpaper is narrower than the stick making it
easy to sand small spaces.

You didn't say if this was a grand or upright.  I have a homemade hook to
pull the hammer up to the strings when doing this on a grand.

Now that you can hear this, pretty soon you'll learn that a lot of those
false beats (or what you think are false beats when you're trying to get
those unisons nice and smooth) are actually just cases of the hammers not
being mated correctly to the strings.  Good luck!

Barbara Richmond, RPT
hoping my marriage will survive another year of putting the Christmas tree
in the stand  :-)
somewhere near Peoria, IL